Organised by CIPL
- Moderator: Fred Cate, CIPL, Senior Policy Advisor https://www.informationpolicycentre.com/fred-cate.html
- Christian D'Cunha, EDPS, Head of Private Office of Giovanni Buttarelli
- Alison Howard, Microsoft, Assistant General Counsel
- Öztürk Taspinar, Accenture, Lead Digital - Belux
- Lanah Kammourieh Donnelly, Google, Public Policy Manager
- Karolina Mojzesowicz, European Commission – DG Justice, Deputy Head of Data Protection Unit
- Julie Brill, Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft
- Mary Ellen Callahan, Assistant General Counsel - Privacy Walt Disney
The concept of “fairness” is at the heart of the “fair information practice principles” guiding data privacy in the US, is required under the US FTC Act, and is the cornerstone of Article 8 of the EU Charter of Fundamental rights as well as the GDPR. Other privacy regimes also incorporate this concept.
Fairness is a vague concept. Its meaning depends on the context in which data is being processed. It is, therefore, one of the more challenging principles in data protection. AI, machine learning and automated decision-making bring the questions of what is fair or unfair into particularly sharp focus.
What exactly does “fair” mean in the context of data protection? How should organisations make determinations about the “fairness” of their processing activities in a way that regulators will accept? What are the measurable elements and proof points of fairness? Are they sufficiently universal and objective so that efforts to meet “fairness” requirements will not proceed under a cloud of legal uncertainty?
These questions will be explored in CIPL's Side Event at ICDPPC, drawing from the expertise and experiences of leading data protection authorities, industry representatives, technologists and academics.
Please note the ICDPPC organizers have given CIPL the opportunity to hold a repeat of this event on the same day; the first iteration of our side event will be held on 23 October from 14:30 – 15:50, and the second iteration will be held from 16:10 – 17:30.